e-Builder Tips & Tricks
- File Naming Convention
- e-Builder Project Names
- Processing PCO's and CO's and the PCO Hold Step
- e-Builder Help
- Design Review Bluebeam Session Naming Convention
- Drag and Dropping Files Directly from email into e-Builder
- Submittal Coordinator and Schedule Manager Assignment
- Issue for Bid Documents and Folder Location
- Updating Information in the Schedule Module
- Working from Home with e-Builder
- Project Team Members and EBUARs
- User Manuals
The file naming manual has been prepared through a collaboration between OPP's Document Center and the e-Builder Implementation Document Management Pride to guide project teams in the proper file naming requirements of project related documents. Proper file naming ensures efficient management of those critical electronic records.
The image is a sample of the file naming convention. A more detailing description can be found towards the bottom of the OPP Document Center page.
It is important the file naming structure is followed so that documents can be easily classified and indexed for retrieval in the future. This file naming convention uses metadata as the basis for the file names. The order of the metadata in the name is just as important as the characters in the name. This metadata is the glue that binds data transfer from e-Builder to DocFinity. It allows the documents to be transferred to the correct building and project folders and subfolders.
Before you accept a Project through the Project Request process, you have the opportunity to edit the name. (If the project already exist or if it is after you accepted the project, Kirsten Steele needs to change the name in e-Builder and Tririga.)
- All Projects need to start with the two digit campus code
- Include the location of the project, for example the Building Name and Room Number. “UP-Bathroom Renovation” is not a good project name.
- Make sure the project name is a good brief description of the project scope
A good project name example is UP-Ag Sci 028 Suite HVAC Upgrades
When processing a PCO, PL’s should not "Complete" the process after you "Accept PCO." It needs to stay in the "HOLD for CO" step.
The process instance is held in "HOLD for CO" step while waiting to be attached to a Change Order process and while the Change Order process is routed for approval in Tririga.
During this step, the process is assigned to the PSU Project Leader, who may update information if necessary.
The approval and closure of the PCO process is controlled through an e-Builder automation step in the Change Order process.
When sending an email to Jessica or Michelle for e-Builder help please do the following things
- In the email subject - list the e-Builder full project name and number and what process your question is on
- In the subject - list the e-Builder full project name and number and what process again
- Provide any screen shots that you have.
We receive numerous emails a day with the subject "e-Builder" or "quick question." The more information you provide us up front the faster we can help you.
The date in the Bluebeam Session Name is the date the review is due from our internal PSU reviewers! As many as 100 people look at your Design Review session and they use this date to know when their comments are due.
Campus Code_Building No_Project No_Review Phase_Reviewer Due Date_Project Description
For example - AB_1234567_000548200_DD_20181129_RenovateRoom100
- The PL starts the Design Review process in e=Builder and sends it to their designer to upload the documents for review.
- Look for OPP Environmental Regulatory Compliance Checklist to make sure the Designer completed the form. The completed forms are sent to members of Engineering Services and EHS.
Did you know that you can drag and drop an attachment directly from your Outlook email into e-Builder? This functionality is available in the Document Module or within a Process.
Did you know that the Project Leader can update with the Submittal Coordinator and the Schedule Manager?
As a Project Leader you can assign or adjust your Submittal Coordinator per the steps listed below without going through the eB Admin. The Submittal Coordinator should be someone already assigned in a Designer Role on that project.
- Select the project
- Click on Settings in the Submittal Module under the Project Menu
- Select the name of who you want to be the Submittal Coordinator. Once the name is highlighted click the right arrow to move it over to the list on the right.
- Click Save
Project Leaders can also assign who the Schedule Manager is on a project without going through the eB Admin per the steps listed below. Keep in mind that only one person can be assigned as the Schedule Manager per project.
- Select the project
- Click on the Schedule Module under the Project Menu
- Click on the Details Tab
- Select the appropriate Manager Role from the drop down menu. Typically this is the 01P PSU OPP Project Leader role or the 01P PSU OPP Intern PM role.
- Select the appropriate Manger User from the drop down list. Only users who have already been assigned to this project will appear this list. (If they are not already on your project submit an EBUAR).
- Click Save
The Issue for Bid documents are to uploaded in the “01 Bid Set submitted for PSU CA review” folder by the 02 Designer Role. This is so that Contract Admin can review the documents for completeness before they are issued. If they are acceptable, a CA Rep will move the documents over to the “010 Issued for Bid” folder.
The Penn State Project Leader is required to update the Milestone Schedule in the e-Builder Schedule Module. After the necessary updates have been made make sure you click the “Save” Button!
Michelle McMullen and Jessica Dubler would like to remind you that we are here if you need any help with your e-Builder needs. If you need help with a particular item on a project please submit an EBSR. Michelle and Jessica both receive these and we will respond as soon as possible.
If you need to add Team Members to a project please submit an EBUAR. *Note all PSU employees work for The Pennsylvania State University. This includes Design Services and Reno. When setting up Design Services you need to add them to a 02 Designer Role. When setting up Reno you need to add them to the 04PSU OPP Reno role.
DID YOU KNOW... PL's can now change/add your own schedule manager and submittal coordinator, note: submittal coordinators should be a Designer on your project
Michelle McMullen and Jessica Dubler receive many EBUAR’s requesting team members (users) be added to a project that the users are already a member of. Before submitting an EBUAR to add a member, please check to see who is already on your project per the instructions below. We also automatically add certain members of OPP including members of EHS and Engineering Services such as UP Area Engineers based on the Area that has been identified in the Project Request (PROJR) when we setup a project.
Also as a reminder:
- There can only be one Design Firm per Designer Role
- There can only be one Construction Firm per Contractor Role
- Submittal Coordinators need to be a Designer
- Design-Build Contracts - Contractors may also need the designer role – reach out to Michelle and Jessica to discuss
- Provide a company’s full name when you are requesting that we add the company or a member of the firm.
- Double check the email address of a user you are requesting to be added. We use a user’s email address as their e-Builder username
- The “Add company” section of the EBUAR is to be used to a add new company to e-Builder, not to add the company your project. Michelle and Jessica will add the company that is associated with the user you are requesting to be added to your project automatically.
- There is a User Manual for the EBUAR process. It is located in the *OPP e-Builder Resources project. https://app.e-builder.net/da2/daLanding.aspx?QS=3cf5980a80694ca8984a2222ef0d9b98
Our e-Builder Team has created customized e-Builder User Manuals for each of the Penn State e-Builder processes and modules.
The following manuals are currently available. When Phase II goes live we will be modifying or adding additional manuals where applicable.
- Design Decision Request
- Request For Information
- Project Request
- Change Order
- Closeout Checklist
- Consultant Invoice
- Contractor Pay App
- Daily Field Report
- Design Review
- User Access Request
- Equipment Data
- File Naming Manual
- Meeting Minutes Meeting Action
- Punch List
- Rolling Completion Item
- Safety Incident Report
- Vendor Registration
The following documents are also available:
- PSU eBuilder Phase I Training User Roles
- Folder Permissions
- Bluebeam Studio Integration
- Bluebeam Studio Prime Integration
There are a couple ways to access the User Manuals.
1. From your e-Builder Home Screen you can click on the link to the e-Builder User Manuals under the Announcements section on the right side of the screen.
2. A second way to access the User Manuals is to select the *OPP e-Builder Resouces project from the project dropdown menu. You will automattically be taken to the Documents Module where the User Manuals can be found.