Awards & Recognition
Purpose: The purpose of this program is to recognize superior performance by OPP employees and teams on a specific event, problem, work challenge, process or project. This recognition is intended to be timely.
Eligibility: All employees (including wage payroll and full-time Penn State students) and teams are eligible for this award.
Criteria for Selection: Employees or teams who have displayed exemplary performance related to a specific event or outcomes are selected. Supervisors, managers, and directors may select employees or teams in their areas or other areas.
Number of Recipients: There is no specified number of recipients.
Award: Certificate and “blue buck”. The “blue buck” can be redeemed at OPP Stores for a $25.00 Creamery gift certificate or $25.00 Penn State Bookstore gift certificate.
Award Presentation: Recognition of recipients will be handled in the most appropriate, as determined by the nominator.
Process: Nominator completes the online award form, which is sent directly to the Buildings & Grounds Administrative Team. The B&G admin. team logs the award into the data base, prepares the certificate and "Blue Buck," and contacts the nominator. The B&G admin. team will also notify Trey Miller for inclusion in News & Views. Once the employee receives their "Blue Buck," they can visit OPP Stores to select their gift certificate. OPP Stores bills the appropriate budget for selected gift certificate.
Purpose: The purpose of the award is to provide recognition to the employees who best exemplify our values of Integrity, Respect, Responsibility, Discovery Excellence and Community for Penn State and the customers served by the University.
Eligibility: All OPP employees across three categories: custodial, technical service, staff
Process: Nominator completes nomination form and sends it to the Spirit of Physical Plant Award Committee, Physical Plant at 200 Physical Plant Building, or emailed to Annette Lose.
The Safety Buck Program is designed to recognize and reward individuals who proactively contribute to the prevention of injuries and incidents at OPP and Penn State. Anyone can nominate any OPP employee for safe and proactive behavior. To submit a nomination, please follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Email [email protected] with the employee name(s), budget and task number and the reason you wish to nominate the employee for the Safety Buck. Please include "Safety Recognition Program" in the subject line of the email.
Step 2: The OPP Safety Recognition Review committee will review the requests and send the approved nomination and certificate to the Associate/Assistant Vice President for Physical Plant for final approval.
Step 3: Once approval is obtained from the Associate/Assistant Vice President for Physical Plant, the OPP Safety Office will send the certificate and Safety Buck to you, the nominator.
Step 4: Present the certificate and Safety Buck to the honoree in whatever manner you deem appropriate.
Purpose: The purpose of this award is to recognize long continuous service with OPP.
Eligibility: All regular full-time employees are eligible for service awards.
Frequency: The award will be presented as soon after eligibility as practical.
Procedure: Regular full-time employees will be eligible for a service award on their Physical Plant anniversary date. Intervals for the award are as follows:
- 5-Year Award: At the completion of five years of continuous regular full-time employment in OPP.
- 10-Year Award: At the completion of 10 years of continuous regular full-time employment in OPP.
- 15-Year Award: At the completion of 15years of continuous regular full-time employment in OPP.
- 20-Year Award: At the completion of 20 years of continuous regular full-time employment in OPP.
- Above 20-Year Award: To be continued at five-year increments.
The program will be controlled and monitored by the HR Office.
Type of Award: A framed certificate is presented to each individual in recognition of the number of years of continuous employee with OPP. The certificate includes the appopriate anniversary date for each individual.
Presentation: Service awards will be presented at an appropriate ceremony by the Associate Vice President.
Purpose: To recognize OPP employees for continuous OPP service upon their departure from the University (resignation or retirement).
Eligibility: Employees departing with five or more years of continuous OPP service and employees retiring with 25 or more years of continuous OPP service will receive a certificate and other recognition, if appropriate. Service with the University outisde of OPP is not considered applicable for this recognition.
- All employees departing with five or more years of continous OPP service will be awarded a certificate by the appropriate manager or supervisor in the employee's work unit, and receive a memo from the Associate Vice President for OPP.
- Staff employees departing with 20 years or more of continuous service with OPP will be honored with a work group function, and a certificate by the appropriate director of the division.
- Technical Service employees departing with 20 years or more of continuous service will be honored with a work group function, and a certificate by the director of the division in the presence of the employee's work group.
B. Retiring Employees
- Employees retiring from the University with 25 years of more of continuous service with OPP will be honored with a luncheon or pizza party and a certificate. Employees retiring from the University with less than 25 years of continuous service for OPP will be treated as a departing employee. See section A.
Type of Award: Departing and retiring employees will receive a certificate attesting to their service and signed by appropriate OPP personnel. The Office of Human Resources will be responsible for having the certificates prepared and for recognizing all employees who received either type of certificate in News & Views following the presentation.
A. Departing Employees
- All employees with 5-19 years of service will receive a certificate in the employee’s work unit. Supervisor will determine location and arrange for presentation of the certificate.
- Employees with 20 years or more will be presented the AVP memo and a certificate by the appropriate director at a work group function attended by the employee’s manager, supervisor, and representatives of employee’s work group.
- All employees retiring with 25 (or more) years of continuous service to OPP will be presented with a certificate and AVP memo by the Associate Vice President or Deputy at a luncheon to include supervisor, manager, or director, Human Resource representative; and six guests selected by the employee. Or, the employee may choose to have a pizza party for colleagues in their immediate work area (maximum of 20 pizzas).
Responsibility & Administration:
A. Departing Employees
- For employees with 5-19 years of OPP service, the supervisor is responsible for arranging the appropriate ceremony in keeping with the above guidelines. The Office of Human Resources is responsible for notifying the director when an employee has stated his/her intent to leave and to notify the Associate Vice President when employee has worked with OPP for 5 or more years. Certificates and the AVP memo will be prepared by Human Resources.
- Office of Human Resources is responsible for all arrangements for the luncheon. Certificates and the AVP memo will be prepared by Human Resources.
B. The policy covers the OPP basic policy and does not preclude any presentation made by the individual's work group or the EBA.
Purpose: To recognize OPP employees for 25 years of University service.
Eligibility: All full-time regular OPP employees who have completed 25 years of regular, full-time University employment, of which the last 10 years are continuous.
Frequency: The award is presented as soon as possible after the 25-year anniversary date.
Type of Award: Employees with 25 years of University service will be honored with a luncheon or pizza party. The University 25-year plaque and chair are presented at this event.
Presentation: A luncheon or pizza party will be held – employee’s choice. At the celebration, the Associate Vice President or Deputy will present the plaque and chair. The luncheon will be held at the Nittany Lion Inn and attended by the employee, the AVP or Deputy, the employee’s choice of his/her foreman, supervisor, manager, or director, and six guests selected by the employee. The pizza party will be held in the employee’s shop area and attended by the AVP or Deputy, the employee’s choice of his/her foreman, supervisor, manager, or director, and colleagues in their immediate work area (maximum 20 pizzas).
Purpose: To create an opportunity for management to express its appreciation to employees for their contribution to OPP in the previous year. Also, a forum for announcement of the Spirit of Physical Plant Award winners.
Eligibility: All OPP employees are invited to the celebration/picnic.
Number of Recipients: All OPP employees.
Procedure: All OPP employees are invited to attend a celebration/picnic event. The event is held once on first shift and once on second shift. Employees attend on work time and are allowed approximately 1.5 hours for the meal/event. The Office of the Associate Vice President plans the event. Food is prepared and served to employees by members of management.
Type of Award: Food and camaraderie.