Capital Plan 2024-2028
The University's 2024-2028 Capital Plan is a maintenance-centric plan focused on system renewals, maximizing funding impact, and minimizing administrative burden. This plan is a significantly smaller investment in University resources, particularly on the Education and General (E&G) budget, than the former capital plan.
Major construction projects in this plan focus on strategic project progressions and deferred projects from the former capital plan.
The 2024-2028 University Capital Plan does not include funding for smaller, unit-level projects.
- $2.183B Overall University Capital Plan Obligations
- $971.1M for Education and General
- $22.0M for the College of Medicine
- $1.189B for the Self-Supporting Units
- $356.2M for Auxiliary and Business Services
- $700.0M for Intercollegiate Athletics
- $133.7M for the Applied Research Laboratory
Note: This University Capital Plan is a living document intended to serve as a guide to help prioritize projects and accommodate emerging strategic needs. Individual projects are approved once they have gone through the Board of Trustees approval process.
- University Park - $188.2M
- Commonwealth Campuses - $62.8M
Initial systems include Building Automation Systems, Electrical Systems and Switchgears, Elevators, Envelopes, Hazardous Material Abatement, HVAC, Interiors and Accessibility, Life Safety and Plumbing.
Major Construction and Renovation
- Physics Building and Osmond Laboratory Renovation - $115M
- Sackett Building Renovation and Addition - $89.9M
- Animal Diagnostic Laboratory Renovation - $65.3M
- Academic Building - Abington - $56M
- Eisenhower Auditorium Renovation - $54.2M
- Academic Learning Center - Harrisburg - $47M
- Former Palmer Museum of Art Repurposing - $40.4M
- Nursing Sciences Building Renovation - $28M
- Carpenter Building Renovation - $27.6M
- Physical Education Building Renovation - Abington - $25M
- Smith Building Renovation - Altoona - $22M
- Boucke Building Renovation - $18.4M
- Henderson Building Renovation - $10.7M
- East Campus Thermal Storage Tank - $31.3M
- Infrastructure System Support - University Park - $15.7M
- XLP Electrical Cable Replacement Program - $15M
- Road Rehabilitation Program - $10M
- Small Infrastructure Projects - $8.9M
- Parking and Roadway Maintenance - Commonwealth Campuses - $7M
- Infrastructure System Support - Commonwealth Campuses - $5.2M
- Demolition Program - $27.5M
College of Medicine
- Comparative Medicine Renovations, Phase 2 of Precinct Plan - $12M
- Inpatient Bed Renovations (Penn State Health) - $10M
Auxiliary and Business Services
- Pollock Residence Halls Renovation - Phase 3A - $82.7M
- Pollock Residence Halls Renovation - Phase 3B - $81.7M
- Pollock Residence Halls Renovation - Phase 3C - $80.5M
- Pollock Residence Halls Renovation - Phase 3D - $88.1M
- Pollock Residence Halls Renovation - Phase 4 - $5.2M
- West Residence Halls - Restroom Renovations - Phase 1 - $9M
- West Residence Halls - Restroom Renovations - Phase 2 - $9M
Note: Auxiliary and Business Services is a self-supported unit.
- Beaver Stadium Renovation - $700M
Note: Intercollegiate Athletics is a self-supported unit.
Applied Research Laboratory
- IB01 - Special Projects Building New Construction - $79.1M
- Electro-Optics Center Purchase (or Lease Renewal) - $25M
- Main Laboratory Renovation - Phase 1 - $16.6M
- Reston Relocation to CMC5 Lease Amendment - $13M
Note: The Applied Research Laboratory is a self-supported unit.