Mission & Strategic Plan
The Office of Physical Plant provides excellent facilities services for Penn State.
To be nationally recognized as a leader in Higher Education facilities, environmental, and safety management.
- We exceed customer expectations by orienting our decisions from a University-wide perspective.
- We provide excellent value by maximizing efficiency in resource utilization.
- We have a culture of inclusion and diversity where everyone enjoys coming to work.
- We optimize our resources.
We are a values-based organization and those values guide our decisions and actions at all levels.
1. Foster a unified high-performing team with mutual respect for each person's uniqueness, talents, value, and perspective. We do this through:
- Employee Engagement
- Rewards & Recognition
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Professional Development
- Succession Planning
- Mentoring and Engagement at All Levels of the Organization
2. Fix, improve, and preserve the University's physical plant.
- Reduce backlog
- Provide new and improved facilities to support the mission of the University
- Employ a University-wide maintenance management program
- Reduce carbon footprint and energy consumption
3. Optimize organizational structure and business processes.
- Collect/solicit customer feedback
- Expand and maximize opportunities for broadening external funding sources
- Foster and develop relationships with Commonwealth campus maintenance staffs
4. Implement business-centric IT structure.
- Review and implement all business process systems and budget models
- Deploy project management information system
5. Develop meaningful performance measures that guide our decisions to maximize our efficiency across many aspects of stewardship.
- Improve our use of data to support informed decision-making
- Apply and maximize use of key performance indicators
- Become a learning organization
6. Establish a unified vision for safety, health, and environmental protection throughout the University.
- Visibly demonstrate the safety commitment of the University administration to the entire organization (with the development of a University-wide advisory committee)
- Establish an integrated safety and environmental protection management system to support University-wide missions, goals, and objectives
- Enhance and expand leadership and employee engagement to promote a positive safety culture throughout all units and campus locations
- Measure safety progress using consistent key performance indicators